At independent Customs & Logistics we handle declarations on the importation of motor vehicles from the UK. 

Importing a vehicle from the UK into the Republic of Ireland has become more complicated since 2021. Whether your vehicle is imported from Great Britain or from Northern Ireland, taxes, and duties you are required to pay will differ. 

If you plan to import a car from the United Kingdom into Ireland, you must notify the British authorities first. You will receive a V5C document once ownership is transferred to you. This is the equivalent to an Irish vehicle registration document. The V5C/4 permanent export notification section of the V5C document must now be completed and sent to the UK's Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency. Keep the rest of your V5C document, this will be required for the Irish authorities. 

If you are living in Ireland and importing avehicle from the UK, you will be liable for Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT), which is paid when a vehicle is first registered in the state. You will also be liable for VAT at the current standard rate (23%), and customs duties, if the vehicle is coming from the United Kingdom. If the vehicle is coming from
Northern Ireland, you do not have to provide a customs declaration if 

(1) the vehicle was in NI before Jan 1st, 2021, andhas not left since (this will have to be proved) 

(2) the vehicle was registered in NI after Jan 1st,2021, and (i) this was the first time it was registered in the UK and (ii) it has never been exported or registered in GB or outside the EU. 

If you are moving to Ireland from the UK andbringing your car with you, you may be able to avail of exemptions from VRT, VAT and customs duties. This only applies where you are transferring your residence to Ireland (becoming a full-time resident here), where the car is for your own personal use, and where you have owned it for at least6 months in the UK prior to moving. You’ll still have to make an appointment for a VRT

Once you’ve brought the car into Ireland, yourfirst step will be to make an appointment with the NCTS for a VRT inspection, which they carry out on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners. This inspection will confirm that your vehicle is as described in your V5C document. 

The Revenue Commissioners require the followingdocumentation for the VRT inspection: 

Evidence of previous registration e.g., foreigncertificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration, as appropriate.  

1. The vehicle’s invoice, which must have the date of purchase and the sale clearly

2.Documentation verifying your name and address in the State (Utility Bill, Bank Statement

3.Documentary evidence of your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) e.g., a payslip, P60 or any documentation issued by the Revenue Commissioners which include your PPS number, name, and address.  

4.If the vehicle is purchased from Northern Ireland, you will need either: details
of the date it was shipped into NI from an EU country, or the single
administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of
entry into NI from GB. If your invoice is more than 30 days old, you will also
need to provide details of where the vehicle was stored in the meantime.  

5.Your VRT payment will depend on the Market SellingPrice of the vehicle determined by the Revenue Commissioners. The OMSP is the price the Revenue Commissioners understand the vehicle would be worth if sold in Ireland and the vehicle’s VRT liability is calculated as a percentage of the OMSP. This percentage varies, depending on the car’s CO2 emissions. VAT, if applicable, is also paid at this stage. If you disagree with the vehicle’s OMSP, the Revenue will allow you to appeal it but you must initially pay the
figure determined and if it’s revised downward, you will receive a refund.  

Following your appointment with the NCTS, they willgive you a receipt for your VRT payment, with the registration number assigned to the vehicle and form RF100, which you need when applying to pay motor tax.

You can buy registration plates on-site at many NCT centres and other outlets
nationwide; get these fitted as soon as possible as the car is no longer
regarded as British and therefore can’t display UK number plates. Once you pay
motor tax, insurance and arrange, if applicable, an NCT date, it’s an officially road-legal Irish car. 

For more information on this or any other queriesyou may have don't hesitate to contact us here at 


All Posts

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!